Thursday, November 20, 2014

"Cut Throat Kitchen" Family Night



After a long break, I decided to start my blog up again.  Our family has been going through some transitions, so we did not have a lot of family nights in the past 8 months other than watching a movie together.  A few weeks ago, my oldest son, Alec, wanted to do our own "Cut Throat Kitchen" family night.  Cut Throat Kitchen, for those of you who don't know, is a t.v. show on Food Network hosted by Alton Brown.  Four chefs compete to win $25,000 given to them at the beginning of the show.  The catch is that they have to bet their money to win items auctioned off by Alton Brown at the beginning of each round (and sometimes during a round).  Upon winning an auction, the chef assigns what they won to another chef and it never is anything good.  Then they have to cook something that Alton chooses.  Then they get to shop for their food in the kitchen, but they only have 60 seconds. At the end of each round, the guest chef judges their food.  The one who does the worst job gets eliminated, until one chef is the winner.  He or she wins whatever money he or she has left after bidding on items.

On our family night, Alec played the part of Alton as host and judge; Dan, Zachary, Emma, and I were the chefs.  Instead of trying to explain everything we did, you can watch the video Dan made of each round.

First round-salad.
Sabotages: make soup and salad, hand taped to a wooden spoon
During the auction, I was given the sabotage of soup and salad.  Dan's hand had to be taped to a spoon.



Second round-sandwiches
Sabotages: I got to take away Dan's bread (he wasn't pleased) and some of us were assigned different cheeses.
I took too long "shopping" for my items so Alec took away one of my ingredients.



Third round-dessert.  We had to come up with our own kind of cookie. 
Sabotages: I spent all my money taking away Dan's bread so I was given mini-kitchen baking equipment and cereal to use on my cookie from Emma.




Thanks for viewing our "Cut Throat Kitchen" Family Night. Maybe you can think of other meals and sabotages that would be fun to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment