Monday, October 21, 2013

Halloween Family Night

I honestly do not remember our very first Family Night, but since it is almost Halloween I thought we would start there.  The best thing about this Family Night was dressing up and the food! We have done this two years in a row.  It is fun trying to come up with a costume with items you already own.  As you can see from the picture, I was a redneck (and yes we already had the crazy hair).  My daughter, Emma, came up with the idea to do a Halloween Family Night and she wanted to find some recipes that would go along with our theme.  After doing a search on the internet (where we get some of our ideas), I found some great recipes. 
For our main course we had a "Spooky Calzone Snake"  (we adjust the recipe according to what we like in a calzone, for example, we don't use the ricotta cheese and we added sausage)and to drink we had "Boo Beverage".  Both of which were so good we have made them the last two years and will probably make them again this year.  My family and I love desserts, so we had to incorporate that into our night as well.  The first year Emma and I made "Spider Cupcakes" and last year we made "Black Cat Brownie" (if you want a thicker "cat", use 2 boxes of brownie mix).  This year we are going to go with "Pudding Dirt Cups"-you can add whatever you like to make it more "gross", like gummy worms or any Halloween themed candy.  After dinner, we enjoyed watching Nightmare Before Christmas and a few Scooby Doo episodes. One activity the kids enjoy doing are scavenger or treasure hunts, which they like to make up on their own.  The first year we did a Halloween Family Night, my daughter hid her stuffed cats with clues.  She gave us a clue to start with and it led to the first cat, which led us to another cat (and so on).  The last clue led to some treasure (which was some candy). This year I found a game that sounds like fun and we might try is a skeleton scavenger hunt.
That's an idea of what our family has done in the past and is planning to do this year.  What are some of the things that your family likes to do for Halloween?



2 comments:

  1. My 'family' does a Batman/Scarecrow marathon, and of course you have to watch the Star Trek Halloween episode. Your cooking stuff was way to complicated, but what kind of stuff do you do for your scavenger/treasure hunts? (Not exactly family night, but I was thinking about hosting a costume party for my church group, and always on the lookout for ideas.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I do scavenger hunts, I type up a list (print a copy for everyone) of the items that my family has to find. You can find lists for Halloween scavenger hunts already made on the internet or come up with your own. For example, a black cat (real or stuffed), a pumpkin, candy, etc. Your family or guests would then check off each item on the list and when they are done, they would receive a prize. Each person can get a prize or you could make it a race and put people on teams and the first team would get a prize. On one of my family nights, I did a beach themed scavenger hunt. Each of my family had to find each item on the list, but they had to take a picture of that item with their phone or other device and show me the pictures when they were finished. As far as the food is concerned, just do something that is easy for you. Hope this was helpful.

      Delete